Website Banner

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

January 9, 2008

My son was cleaning out an upstairs cupboard today and found a Christmas gift that he and his wife had bought for me and forget where they put it. I was so excited when he have it to me. It is the original broadcast that panicked the nation.
Orson Wells
War of the Worlds
The actual broadcast by the Mercury Theatre on the Air as heard over the Columbia Brodacastins System, Oct 30, 1938. It is an authentic first edition, with nat a word cut. The only down size is, it is on a 78 record.

Now I will have to haunt garage sales and flea markets to find an old record player.

This record will now be put with my Gork statue from The Day the Earth Stood Still, also given to me by my son and the newspaper article about the movie. For my birthday last year Brian, a friend of my son's gave me the dvd War of the Worlds, with Gene Barry. As you can tell I am a old type ScFi lover.

There is a store in Niagara on the Lake, that deals only with old movies. If there is an old movie, be it Video or remade into DVD you will find it there. All the old classics, westerns, etc. If you are down in this area, you have to visit the store. It is off Queen St. in Niagara on the Lake.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I Love your blog. You can get old record players at the thrift store adult or children's; I am glad I kept my sons to listen too.